e-mail: lawrence dot hornak at mail dot wvu dot edu
phone: 304 293 9694
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering (1991), Rutgers University
M.E. Electrical Engineering (1986), Stevens Institute of Technology
B.S. Physics (1982), Binghamton University (SUNY)
- Co-Chair, 2011 NSTC Biometrics Challenge Document Update
- WVU Strategic Planning and Assessment – 2010 Plan
- NSF NUE – The WVU Nanosystems Emphasis Area
2010 to Present: National Science Foundation, Arlington, VA. Program Director, Industry/University Cooperative Research Centers Program, Engineering Directorate, Industrial Innovations and Partnership Division
2006 to Present: NexID Biometrics LLC, Morgantown, WV Founding Partner. Inactive partner since 2010 while on NSF IPA.
1991 to Present: West Virginia University, Lane Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering (CSEE), College of Eng. and Min Resources (CEMR)
2000 – 2010 Founding Director, NSF Center for Identification Technology Research (CITeR)
2006 – 2008 Founding Co-Director, WVNano Statewide NSEE Initiative
2005 – Present WVU R. C. Byrd Professor
Aug 2005 – June 2006 Interim Director, WVNano NSEE Initiative
1999 – 2002 Research Director, CSEE
July 1997 – Aug 1998 Founding Interim Co-Chair, CSEE Dept.
July 1996 – June 1997 Interim Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept.
Jan. 1996 – 2005 Director, Microelectronic Systems Research Center (MSRC)
1992 – 1996 Associate Director, MSRC
2001 – Present Professor, 1994-2001 Assoc. Prof., 1991-94 Asst. Prof.
1982 to 1991: AT&T Bell Laboratories, Communications Systems Research Laboratory, Holmdel, NJ
1989 – 1991 Digital Optics Research Dept., Member of Technical Staff
1986 – 1989 VLSI Systems Research Dept., Member of Technical Staff
1982 – 1985 Device Structure Research Dept., Staff Technical Assoc.
Recent Teaching Activities:
ENGR 103/PHYS 293 Introduction to Nanotechnology Design (Sp 2007 - 2010)
EE 345 Engineering Electromagnetics (Fall 00-05, 2010)
EE 455/691 Introduction to Microfabrication (Fall 99-03)
BIOM/EE 426 Biometric Systems (Sp 01-03 Inaugural development)
EE 445 Communication Electromagnetics (Sp 03-04)
§ Nanosystem Engineering Shared Clean Room Facility
§ Integrated Nano/Micro System Design Laboratory
§ Photonic and Electronic Technologies Laboratory
WVU NSE Facilities
1) R. Goswami, J. R. Nightingale, J. A. Duperre III, M. S. Lim, J. M. Dawson, A. Timperman, D. Korakakis and L. A. Hornak, “Surface Loading Sensitivity Characterization of a Resonant Planar Optical Waveguide Stack,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 24(9) 778-80 (2012).
2) B. Hamza, A. Kadiyala, L. A. Hornak, Y. Liu, and J. M. Dawson “Direct Fabrication of Two-dimensional Photonic Crystal Structures in Silicon Using Positive and Negative Hydrogen Silsesquioxane (HSQ) Patterns,” Microelectronic Engineering, 91, 70-74 (March 2012).
1. N. Sazonova, F. Hua, X. Liu, J. Remus, A. Ross, L. Hornak, S. Schuckers “A study on quality adjusted impact of time lapse on iris recognition,” Biometric Technology for Human Identification IX, SPIE Defense, Security and Sensing, DS107 (Baltimore, MD April 2012).
3) T. Bourlai, A. Ross, C. Chen, L. Hornak, “A study on using middle-wave infrared images for face recognition,” Biometric Technology for Human Identification IX, SPIE Defense, Security and Sensing, DS107 (Baltimore, MD April 2012).
4) M. Li, Q. Wang, X. Shi, L. A. Hornak, N. Wu, "Detection of Mercury (II) by Quantum dot-DNA-Gold Nanoparticle Ensemble Based Nanosensor Via Nanometal Surface Energy Transfer" Analytical Chemistry, 83 (18) 7061-65 (2011).
5) M. Li, S. K. Cushing, Q. Wang, X. Shi, L. A. Hornak, Z. Hong, and N. Wu, “Size-Dependent Energy Transfer between CdSe/ZnS Quantum Dots and Gold Nanoparticles,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2(17) 2125–2129 DOI: 10.1021/jz201002g (August 9, 2011).
6) Scott K. Cushing, Lawrence A. Hornak, Jessica Lankford, Yuxin Liu, Nianqiang Wu, “Origin of Localized Surface Plasmon Resonances in Thin Silver Film over Nanosphere Patterns,” Applied Physics A, 103(4), 955-58 DOI 10.1007/s00339-011-6393-1 (April 22, 2011).
7) T. Bourlai, N. Kalka, B. Cukic, L. A. Hornak, A. Ross, “Cross-spectral Face Recognition in Heterogeneous Environments: A Case Study” 2011 International Joint Conference on Biometrics (IJCB) (Washington, DC Oct. 10-13, 2011).
8) T. Bourlai, N. Kalka, A. Ross, B. Cukic, L. Hornak, "Cross-spectral Face Verification in the ShortWave Infrared (SWIR) Band," Proc. of International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), (Istanbul, Turkey), August 2010.
9) Arun Ross, Raghunandan Pasula, Lawrence Hornak, “Exploring Multispectral Iris Recognition beyond 900nm,” IEEE BTAS Conference (Sept 2009, Crystal City, VA) (2009)
10) A. Izadian, L. Hornak, and P. Famouri, "Structure Rotation and Pull-in Voltage Control of MEMS Lateral Comb Resonators under Fault Conditions", IEEE, Trans. on Control Systems Technology, 17(1) 51-59 (2009).
11) J.R. Nightingale, R. Goswami, J. Duperre, J. M. Dawson, L.A. Hornak, and D. Korakakis, “Use of ion beam assisted deposition and low temperature annealing for the fabrication of low loss, vertically stacked alumina waveguide structures, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 26, p1813 (2008)
12) S. A. C. Schuckers, N. A. Schmid, A. Abhyankar, V.Dorairaj, C.Boyce, L. A. Hornak, “On Techniques for Angle Compensation in Non-Ideal Iris Recognition,” IEEE Transactions on SMC, Part B. 37(5) 1176-1190, (2007).
13) M. S. Lim, K. Feng, X. Chen, N. Wu, A. Raman, E. S. Gawalt, J. Nightingale, D. Korakakis, L. A. Hornak, and Aaron Timperman, “Adsorption and Desorption of Stearic Acid Self-assembled Monolayer on Aluminum Oxide,” Langmuir, 23 (5) pp 2444 – 2452 February 27, 2007.
14) S. D. Woodruff, N. Ayyalasomayajula, L. A. Hornak, “Design and Characterization of a Diode Pumped Nd:YAG Retro reflecting Slab Laser" Optical Engineering 45(12) (2006).
15) S. T. V. Parthasaradhi, R. R. Derakhshani, L. A. Hornak, S. A. C. Schuckers, “Time Series Detection of Perspiration as a Liveness Test in Fingerprint Devices,” IEEE – Systems Man, and Cybernetics Society, Part C: Applications and Reviews - Special Issue on Biometric Systems, 35(3) 335-343 (2005).
Last updated, 2012